Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Rosettes & Dye

Lately I've been into making Lollies (a la Margie Romney Aslett).  I've shared a few of my Halloween ones, but in case you missed them you can find them here.
My favorite part is making the rosettes for the lollies.  I have literally made over 100 of them with no specific plans for them, but just because it keeps my hands busy. I keep them in a basket in my studio and grab one or three to use once inspiration strikes or if I need a quick package decoration.


It's a great way to use up old scrapbook paper (which I have TONS of).
Sometimes I find myself pulling out a piece of scrapbook paper and wondering what the heck I was thinking when I bought it.  Luckily, it finds new life as a rosette!
I discovered a paper stack that I bought that had all pastel colors.  So not me.  So I made some rosettes.
Still not me.  So I decided to try my hand at dying them.  I had some food coloring dye already made for dying doilies and just dipped these suckers in. I love the effect it gave:
Here is a side by side comparison:


You can see the dye I was using was a teal color (I just mixed green and blue food coloring) and it really looks cool in the folds.
I have about 5 or 6 more of these blue rosettes drying for a project I hope to share with you soon.
I also dyed a music paper rosette to see how it turned out and I like that one as well:

Here's a peak at the doilies that started my dye testing:

They didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I think it's because of the coating they have on them.

I'm all ready to incorporate all of these dyed items into a Christmas project.  I hope to share it with everyone soon!

Always,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment